Hearty, Healthy & Homemade
2017 Nutrition Calendar
Looking for new recipes that will change up the flavor for 2017? Check out our new Hearty, Healthy & Homemade calendar! It's FREE and is available at DHS offices statewide and many food banks. Select elementary schools will also send calendars home with children after classes resume.
Each month features a different recipe developed in the ONIE test kitchen and hand-picked by Oklahoma families.
Recipe page features:
- Quick to prepare, healthy, and budget-friendly
- Simple and clear instructions
- A nutrition label
Calendar page features:
- Large calendar space so you can add your own reminders, birthdays, and important notes
- Includes over 50 holidays and special dates
- Each page features helpful tips that make eating healthy easy and tasty
- Cooking Videos – Want a little more detail than just a recipe? Stay tune we will soon have videos available for each recipe!
- Handy “Salt Check Tool” – This is an ONIE Original! We eat too much salt, however it does not come from the salt shaker. It is hidden in the food we eat! Use this tool to find how much sodium is hiding in your food.
- Practice makes perfect, MyPlate – Each monthly page shows how the featured recipe meets the “MyPlate” recommendations. These guidelines recommend that half of our plate be vegetables and fruit. The other half with grains and protein. Don’t forget the low-fat dairy!
- OK Farmers’ Market Guide – Many farmers’ markets across Oklahoma now accept SNAP. These markets offer fresh, locally grown produce. Check the list to find the farmers’ market closest to you that accepts SNAP!
- Get your facts straight! Learn the truth about SNAP – SNAP is a nutrition assistance program for individuals and families. Food can be purchased with these benefits. However, there are many common myths that keep many from applying for these benefits. See our myth buster page to learn the truth!
- Making Sense of Nutrition Labels – The ONIE team makes reading nutrition labels easy with our handy color-coded tool. The color-coded labels on the tool match those featured on each recipe page.
- Find more recipes, nutrition information, and other resources – The calendar also has links of where to find more resources to keep your family strong.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed creating it! Next week, we will release our first recipe of the New Year, Tuscan Steak Pasta!
Happy 2017 from our kitchen to yours!
The ONIE Project