ABCS of Kids' Food Games
The first week of a new school year is a very exciting time for children. With all this excitement kids are bound to be hungry when they come home. It is important to have healthy and easy snack choices ready for kids. The ONIE Project has two great afterschool snacks that parents and children can make together: apple race cars and banana bugs. These snacks are really cool because they are foods that kids can play with! Making and playing with their own food is a great way to introduce kids to healthier choices in a fun way. Kids are more likely to eat food they make themselves, even if it is something they haven’t tried before. Creating these snacks also gives a chance for families to spend time together and helps to build creativity and self-confidence in kids. We hope you and your family enjoy these snacks as much as we do!
APPLE RACE CARS
- Apples of any kind or color (1 apple makes 6 cars)
- 1 Bag Pretzel Sticks (2 sticks per apple slice)
- 1 Bag Red or Green Grapes (2 grapes per car)
- Cut apples into 6 slices removing seeds and core
- Cut grapes in half width wise (short)
- Insert pretzel sticks into apple for wheel spokes
- Place grapes on the ends of the pretzel sticks to create car wheels
- Use extra ingredients to decorate car if desired
- Apple cars are ready to be played with and eaten!
ONIE Test Kitchen Tip: Other ingredients such as cut string cheese can also be used as wheels!
- 2 Bananas (add more if needed)
- Red Grapes
- 1 Bag Sliced Almonds
- 1 Package of Pretzel Sticks
- Cheerios (optional)
- Raisins (optional)
- Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Peel and cut bananas in half width ways
- Decorate banana bug anyway you want!
- Example: Use pretzel sticks for legs, cheerios or grapes for eyes, tortillas for wings, almonds slices for spikes (the combinations are endless!)
Have a great and healthy school year! Jade and the ONIE Team