All Aboard the Veggie Train
Looking for a fun and healthy twist on afternoon snacks for the kiddos? Veggie trains are a cute and delicious option! Bonus: This treat is easy and quick to set up. It takes about 15 minutes start to finish!
All you need are bell peppers and a few of your favorite veggies. The more colorful the better so let your imagination soar!
To make your own veggie train:
- Wash all veggies.
- Lay bell peppers on the side and cut off the tops just above the stems. Clean out the seeds.
- Slice cucumber or carrots for wheels. Use a toothpick to attach sliced veggies to the outside of the peppers. Arrange peppers end to end to make a train.
- Fill peppers with your favorite veggies.
For our veggie train we used broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, mini carrots, celery, and sliced sweet peppers, but you can choose any veggies you like.
As an added treat serve with ONIE Homemade Yogurt Ranch Dip on the side for a tasty addition to your snack! Just follow the easy instructions below or watch the how to video here.
- 4 multigrain saltine crackers
- 1/2 cup dried parsley
- 3 Tbsp dried minced onions
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 3/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- Place saltines in a plastic bag & close. Using the bottom of a cup crush crackers into a fine powder.
- Add spices to bag & shake well. Rub closed bag between hands to further crush spices.
- In a bowl mix yogurt, sour cream & 2 Tbsp spice mix. Mix well.
- Serve with fresh vegetables. Store left-over spice mix for future use in an airtight container.