All about MyPlate – Fruits and Vegetables
MyPlate says half of your plate should be filled with fruits and vegetables at every meal.
What really counts as fruit?
Any fruit or 100% fruit juice counts as a part of the fruit category.
Common fruits include:
ONIE's fruit tips!
- Buy fresh fruits in season, this will be less expensive and the fruits will be at their yummiest.
- Frozen fruits can also be less expensive and are available all year.
- If you choose canned fruits, look for “100% juice” or “100% water” on the label to avoid added sugar.
Adding fruit to your diet, can be as easy adding some type of fruit to every meal.
- Fruits can also make a great afternoon snack. Peanut butter and apple slices are one of my favorites!
- Have the kids pick out fruit for their lunch.
My husband loves to have a glass of 100% orange juice every night.
What are your some of your favorite ways to add to fruit to your diet?
What really counts as a vegetable?
Any vegetable or 100% vegetable juice counts as a member of the vegetable group. There are many ways to eat vegetables: raw, cooked, fresh, frozen, canned, or dried.
One of my favorite ways to prepare veggies is to mix sliced squash, zucchini, onions, and a few potatoes with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. I cook them on the stove just until they soften. It’s really easy and delicious. Plus it has both of my favorite vegetables, squash and zucchini.
ONIE's veggie tips!
- Stock up on frozen veggies for quick and easy cooking in the microwave
- Include a green salad in your dinner every night
- Grill vegetables
We also like raw veggies with low-fat salad dressing dip. We like carrots and low-fat Italian dressing dipping sauce. It is a big fav for an afternoon snack.
THE LAST AND BEST ONIE TIP!
A rule of thumb is to use your hand to estimate serving. A serving of a fruit or vegetable is about the same size as your fist. Your own hand is great guide to determine the right portion for YOU! For your daughter or son, their fist is the right size for them. I think is a way cool tip.
Have a great day!