Be active your way
During this time of year there are a lot races happening in the city and around the state. It is common to think “oh I could never participate in one." But, if you actually set a goal and attempt it, you’d be surprised at what you can accomplish! Whether you desire to participate in a race or simply to be able to walk your neighborhood park without rest breaks, you can do it! All you have to do is start! Here are some tips to get you started:
- Make exercise an opportunity to do something you love. Think outside the box and choose something you truly enjoy! It can be a specific sport, dancing, gardening, yoga, or tai chi! The options are endless.
- Make a goal. Having a specific, realistic goal that is important to you can motivate you to stay on course!
- Make a schedule and stick to it. Finding time to be active can be difficult, but if you plan in advance by putting it on your calendar, you will be more likely to follow through. Although it is important to stick to your plan, be flexible! It’s easy to become busy with work and family. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss a day or two! Try to reschedule the activity if possible. If not, just continue with the rest of your week and exercise schedule as planned.
- Invite a family member or friend to join you. This will give you an opportunity to catch up and strengthen your bond while you strengthen your body! Whoever you choose, accountability is key.
- Take your workout clothes with you. This will save you a trip home and get you to your activity quicker! Once you are home, it is much easier to get distracted, delayed, or possibly cancel your activity.
- Be active throughout the day! Make simple changes such as climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator or parking a few spots away from the door. Adding these pockets of activity in your day can help you concentrate at school or work, and feel more motivated to be active!
Have an active weekend!
The ONIE Project