Breakfast on the go. All of your favorites with a twist!
We have all the heard the saying, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day". It is important. Breakfast is your first fuel stop for the day. It is especially important for kids and teens. Eating breakfast helps kids have a good type of energy, do better in school, and continue to eat healthier throughout the day. When I miss breakfast, I tend to be more restless, it's harder to concentrate, and I feel tired, especially at the end of the day. For me, sometimes I do not eat breakfast because I feel rushed in the mornings. ONIE is here to help us get our day off to a good start. Dietetic intern, Jennifer Morton, shares some recipes to help us prepare a quick, healthy breakfast using foods we all love! Even better, they are easy enough for school-aged children to do by themselves! We think you and the kids will love them!!
Breakfast Tortilla Wrap
- 1 small whole wheat flour tortilla
- 1 small banana
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- Drizzle of honey
- Lay tortilla flat on a plate.
- Spread 2 Tbsp of peanut butter across tortilla.
- Drizzle honey over peanut butter to taste
- Place banana on edge of tortilla.
- Roll tortilla.
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Any kind of fruits and nuts for toppings!
Mix ½ cup plain yogurt with fruits and nuts. It is that easy!!! This simple parfait gives you nutrients from 3 food groups: dairy, protein, fruit! Yip, nuts are a great source of protein. 1 ounce of nuts has 2.6 grams of protein.
Breakfast Pocket Sandwiches
- Two slices of bread
- 1 Tbsp jelly (may also use fresh or frozen fruit or honey)
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- Spread ingredients on bread, leaving 1/2 inch on the outside edges.
- Tear off the crust.
- Use fork to press down in order to stick edges of bread together.
- Place in toaster to heat and toast bread.
I love having a glass of 1% low-fat milk with my breakfast! 1% low-fat milk has all the vitamins and nutrients of whole milk but with less saturated fat! Hope your day gets off to great start tomorrow! Jennifer and the ONIE Team