Christmas Fun with Food
ONIE has a few ideas to have fun with the kids over the holidays with these easy to make treats.
Snowman on a Stick
- Bamboo skewers (12 inches long)
- Mini-chocolate chips
- Pretzel sticks
- Prepare the fruit by cutting the banana into one inch slices, and then cut apple into triangular pieces; cut the carrot into small slivers.
- For each snowman, you will need three thick slices of banana, a grape, a sliver of carrot, and a triangular piece of apple.
- Slide three slices of the banana onto the skewer to create the body of the snowman; and then add the piece of apple and the grape to create its hat.
- Next, gently press the small mini-chocolate chips onto the bottom two pieces of the banana to form the buttons on the snowman; and then create eyes with two more chocolate chips.
- Finally, add the sliver of carrot to create the nose.
ONIE Test Kitchen Tip: Poke a hole in the apple piece with a bamboo skewer first to make assembly easier.
Christmas Tree Vegetable Platter
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 14 grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1½ cups fresh cauliflower florets
- ¾ oz (about 40) pretzel sticks (from 15-oz bag)
- Arrange broccoli to form a tree shape.
- Arrange the pretzels at the bottom to form a tree trunk.
- Use tomatoes to form decorations.
- Arrange the bell pepper on the top of the tree to form a star.
- Finally, arrange the cauliflower around the bottom of the tree to form snow.
- Serve with a non-fat milk creamy herb dip.
ONIE Test Kitchen Tip: Make the perfect dip by mixing 16 oz non-fat plain Greek yogurt with 1 pkg Ranch dressing mix.
Wishing you and your family Happy Holidays!