Easy Summer Salads!
Can you believe that May is actually National Salad Month? Eating more salads can be a good thing, most of us need more vegetables in our diet. Besides who doesn’t love a tasty summer salad. So I went in search of tasty salads that are more creative than a basic, lettuce salad, but easy to prepare. The ONIE Project picked two salads: Chopped Mexican Salad, and Macaroni Blossom Salad. These recipes met our test of tasty, easy to make, and easy on the food budget.
Chopped Mexican Salad
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (14.5 oz) can reduced-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of no-salt-added whole kernel sweet corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 1 avocado
- 1 (10 oz) bag of fresh spinach leaves
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce
Serves 5 to 6
- Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil; quickly add spinach. Sauté 2-3 minutes until wilted. Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
- Chop bell pepper and avocado into bite size pieces.
- Mix sautéed spinach, black beans, corn, bell pepper, and avocado in medium-sized bowl.
- Add garlic powder, pepper, hot sauce, and 1 Tbsp of olive oilto vegetable mixture. Mix well.
ONIE Test Kitchen Tip: We made this Mexican salad healthier by choosing reduced sodium black beans, and no-salt-added corn. Salt is hidden in a lot of the foods that we eat. Check for “hidden” sodium in your diet by reading the nutrition label, match 1 mg of sodium for 1 each calorie.
Macaroni Blossom Salad
This light summer salad is a meal all by itself. Yum!
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta, dry
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- 3-4 cups broccoli florets
- 6 Tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Italian Herbs
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Serves 7 to 8
- Prepare 1 cup of uncooked pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Chop the bell peppers and cucumber into cubes.
- Add pasta, bell peppers, cucumber, and broccoli florets into large serving bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, herbs, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Refrigerate salad for 2 to 4 hours to enhance flavor.