Healthy Meets Tasty! A Summer Sandwich
We have turned a sandwich into a special treat with summer squash and zucchini; some of the cheapest summer vegetables. I love this sandwich. It is yummy, light, and helps me eat my daily servings of veggies! I picked up the veggies at my local farmers' market that accepts SNAP benefits.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow squash
- ½ zucchini
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup hummus (any flavor)
- Lettuce (optional)
- Slice zucchini and yellow squash into long, thin strips.
- Toss squash, and zucchini together with olive oil in bowl.
- Add vegetable mixture to frying plan.
- Sauté until slightly brown about 2- 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat.
- Toast slices of bread.
- Spread hummus across toasted bread and top with sautéed vegetables.
ONIE Test Kitchen Tip: I used rosemary to season the potatoes instead of salt because some foods that we eat often have quite a bit of salt or sodium. Potatoes pair well with many herbs.
Summer feeding programs are available across Oklahoma. Click on meals to find a location near you!