Holiday Lights and Hot Cocoa!
It’s the holiday season, there’s the smell of hot cocoa in the air, with lights sparkling everywhere!
One of our favorite traditions is enjoying twinkly holiday lights. We love to walk through the lights with our family and friends while sipping a cup of hot cocoa. There are many beautiful holiday light displays all around our great state of Oklahoma! Click Here for a list of displays around the state with pictures and descriptions that you won’t want to miss. We also have a quick reference pocket guide! These displays offer an opportunity to get out of the car and walk! Of course, we have healthier and homemade hot cocoa recipes for you to sip as you stroll through a twinkling wonderland. We tested several recipes, looking for healthier versions of everyone's favorite holiday treat, hot chocolate. We had a few failed recipes, but in the end we found these two met our standard of tasty, healthier, and chocolaty goodness.
# 1: ONIE Test-Kitchen Favorite
1 (14 oz) can fat-free condensed milk
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ½ tsp vanilla
6 cups of 1% milk
- Add in sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla; mix well.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk over medium-low.
- Heat until chocolate chips melt. Don’t let the milk boil.
# 2: ONIE Test-Kitchen Favorite
2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbs Sugar
¼ tsp vanilla
1 (8oz) cup of 1% milk
- Heat milk over medium in a small sauce pan for 8 minutes. Don’t let it boil.
- Add in sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Bundle up and head out with your family and friends for a nice wintery stroll through the beautiful lights. We hope you enjoy warming up with some homemade hot cocoa!