Have you and your family heard of MyPlate? MyPlate helps remind us that all food and beverage choices throughout your day matter! From fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, and protein, a MyPlate meal is sure to provide you with tons of vitamins and minerals. Here are some tips to help you build a healthier plate:
- Try filling half your plate with fruits and veggies.Vary in colors and ‘eat a rainbow’ throughout the day.
- Make half your grains whole grains. Whole wheat bread or pasta, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, or popcorn are just a few ideas. Look for the whole grains stamp!
- Choose lean meats! Fish, skinless chicken breast, and lean ground meat are all great options.
- Choose low-fat (1%) or fat-free (skim) dairy. Low-fat (1%) or fat-free (skim) dairy has all the same nutrients as whole and reduced-fat (2%) milk without the extra calories!
- Choose oils that are low in saturated fats. Olive oil and canola oil are great options!
- Limit empty calories. Try to avoid foods full of added fat and sugar such as sodas and other sugar sweetened beverages, cookies and candies, and fried foods.
Not sure how to fit all your MyPlate groups onto your plate? Side dishes count too! An easy way to get dairy in at lunch and dinner is to drink a glass of 1% low-fat milk, or try non-fat yogurt as a dessert! Adding fruit to yogurt is not only a great way to add in a food group, but it can also help curve a sweet tooth without indulging in empty calories!
Looking for a MyPlate meal for dinner tonight? Check out this ONIE recipe! Just add a side of low-fat Greek yogurt and you’re set! Want to focus on whole grains? Instead of white rice, swap it out for brown rice!
Choose MyPlate can help everyone find what amount of calories and servings are right for them as well as help with correct portion sizes. There is even a MyPlate Supertracker that will help you track your meals, servings of each food group, and physical activity. Get great tips from other users in the ‘MyPlate MyWins’ section, and learn how to make small changes to your meals that will benefit you for years to come!
The ONIE Project