November Recipe of the Month
Posted by ONIE Project on 11/13/2013
Healthy Chicken & Dumplings
It is chilly today. Nothing warms me up like chicken and dumplings. Chicken and dumplings was also one my mother's favorite dishes, and now ONIE has made an old favorite family recipe with a healthy twist.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless, chicken breast, cut into cubes
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (10 oz) package peas, frozen
- 1 cup Heart Smart Bisquick
- 1/3 cup skim milk (fat-free)
- Place chicken, onion, carrot, celery, and broth in large saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Reduce heat to low.
- Skim off foam with a ladle, and then add peas.
- In a small bowl, stir together Bisquick and milk until soft dough forms. Drop spoonful-size dumplings into soup.
- Cook on low heat uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate left overs within 2-3 hours.