Recipe of the Month: Broccoli and Cheeseburger Bake
Broccoli & Cheeseburger Bake
Hi, my name is Veronica. I am new to the ONIE project and am so excited to be part of the team. I love to cook. My family is very close. We eat and cook together, and try new recipes. To read more about my favorite meals, fruits, and vegetables, just follow the link to all about the authors.
Today, I would like to share a recipe with you that uses one of my favorite vegetable, broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables. It is tasty raw but, especially steamed served in pasta and beef dishes. I don’t know much about broccoli except that it looks like a tree. So I have looked up a few fun facts about broccoli for us to get to know this beautiful veggie a little more.
- Broccoli originated in Italy! Its name comes from the Italian word “broccolo,” meaning the flowering top of a cabbage.
- Broccoli is a member of the cabbage family.
- It is a high source of Vitamin C.
- ½ lb lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1 cup broccoli chopped 1 cup onion
- chopped ½ tsp salt 1 cup fat-free cheddar cheese
- shredded ½ cup heart smart biscuit mix
- 1 cup skim milk (fat free)
- 2 eggs Non-stick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 400F. Coat 9”pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until beef is brown stirring to break up meat. Drain well.
- Spread in pie plate and sprinkle with cheese.
- In a medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate over beef mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. TO check, insert knife in the center of the dish. If it comes out clean, it is ready to serve. Refrigerate left overs within 2-3 hours.
We hope you enjoy this month’s quick and easy and healthy ONIE recipe featuring broccoli! Try it and let us know what you think! Veronica and the ONIE Team For more healthy, hearty & homemade recipes check out the ONIE website, Simple Healthy Recipes.