Recipe of the Month - Southwest Meatballs
This meatball recipe adds a fun southwestern twist, packing in flavors you will love. It is hearty dish that takes just 20 minutes to prepare. The bonus is that it sneaks in veggies and is low in sodium!!!
1 lb ground turkey
2 egg whites
2 slices whole wheat bread, torn up
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup frozen corn
½ cup 50% less sodium beef broth
1 (15 oz) can no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp ground cumin ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, bread, & pepper. Mix well.
- Shape into 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add meatballs & cook slowly. Turn until browned on all sides (about 15 minutes).
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice and cumin into skillet, mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium, partially cover & cook an additional 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked thoroughly. Stir in cilantro and serve.
From the ONIE Test Kitchen! Hearty, Healthy, and Homemade.