2014 ONIE Nutrition Calendar
The 2014 ONIE Nutrition Calendars have arrived and distribution has begun! Each month features a recipe prepared in the ONIE Test Kitchen to make sure it is healthy, tasty, and hearty. These recipes are easy on the budget, and fit your busy schedule. You may pick up your calendar at any statewide DHS office, an Oklahoma City Metropolitan library, and a Norman Public library. For your convenience, just follow the link to connect to the website for locations. The recipe for January is Skillet Chicken. I tried this recipe myself last evening, and everyone just raved about it. I served it with a side salad and some steamed brown rice for a tasty, healthy, and hearty winter evening meal.
- 1lb chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ yellow onions, (1/2 sliced, 1 diced)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp tarragon
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 2 (8 oz) cans no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives, drained & rinsed
- Season chicken with pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add chicken & sear for 2-3 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate & set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, sauté diced onions for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and red pepper flakes & sauté an additional 1 minute. Add sliced onion, mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, oregano, and tarragon.
- Return chicken to skillet, covering chicken with vegetables and tomato sauce. Cover skillet & let simmer 12-15 minutes, until no pink remains in chicken, stirring occasionally.
- Refrigerate left overs within 2-3 hours.
- Estimated preparation time is 30 minutes.
ONIE Tip: Check out "Making Sense of Nutrition Labels" in the back of the calendar.
Karla and the ONIE Project Team