Spicy Red Lentil Soup
Fall is a great time to dust off the old crock pot. With help from ONIE’s project dietitian, we have a new fall soup recipe, Spicy Red Lentil Soup. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare. It has a special twist, Moroccan spices. These spices bring a big flavor that will be a family favorite. To create a healthy soup, we used low-sodium chicken broth and no-salt added diced tomatoes. We also added potatoes to make it hearty.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups 33% less sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) no-salt added tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dried red lentils, washed and rinsed
- -Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- -Juice of one lemon
- Dice onion. Set aside. (Tip: Dice the onion finely. This allows the flavor to be spread evenly in each spoonful of soup.)
- Press or mince garlic. Set aside.
- Combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, and pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
- Chop potatoes. Set aside. (Tip: Chop potatoes into bite size pieces. Leave the skin on the potatoes for extra fiber and vitamins including vitamin C, folate, and Vitamin B.)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic and spice mixture. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Heat to boiling.
- Pour mixture into 5- to 6- quart slow-cooker.
- Stir in lentils and potatoes.
- Cook for 4 to 5 hours on high, or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Stir in pepper flakes and lemon juice. Heat 10 minutes.
Meaty Red Lentil Soup:
To create a meaty version of this soup recipe, simply add chicken. Prepare by chopping 1lb of boneless chicken breast into ½ inch bite size pieces. Sauté or brown in saucepan over medium-high heat and add to crock pot with lentils and potatoes.
The ONIE Project Team