Summer Activities for the Family
Oklahoma City and surrounding communities are buzzing with FREE summer activities for families. We’ve highlighted a few for you!
Playing at Splash Pads
Keep cool this summer at a splash pad! In south Oklahoma City, Wiley Post Park and Taylor Park have FREE splash pads. Also, the Myriad Gardens has a large and cool splash pad for big kids and another one for younger children. In addition, Moore, Norman, and Yukon also have parks with splash pads. Don’t forget to take sunscreen!
- Martin Park has three hiking trails and plenty of animals and birds to see. There is also an education center for kids to learn lots of fun facts about local wildlife.
- Explore the 13-miles of paved trails along the Oklahoma River running from Central Avenue to Meridian Avenue just south of I-40 near downtown. It is a great place to walk, run, or bike with the family.
- Joe B. Barnes Regional Park in Midwest City has a beautiful 3-mile paved trail. It also features a playground, soccer field, basketball court, picnic tables and much more.
Many more trails are available. Click here to see a few more.
Most kids love to play and explore. Playground dates at different parks can be fun and offer adventure. For example, the Veteran’s Memorial Park in Moore features a fighter jet and army jeep where children can play. Other Moore parks, Parmele Park and Little River Park, are forest and pirate themed. Yukon’s Freedom Trail Playground features a dinosaur dig. Call your friends and arrange a playdate today!
Play in the Park
All summer, on Fridays, the City of Moore Parks & Recreation hosts fun games and activities at a different park (except for July 1st). The fun begins at 9:30 a.m. and lasts an hour. Everyone is invited to participate! Tomorrow (June 17th), they’ll be at Veterans’ Memorial Park. Click here to find out where they’ll be next week!
Movie at the Park
Don’t miss out on this one! Enjoy a FREE family movie night at one of these locations. All you need for the festivities is a bottle of water, a few healthy snacks, and a lawn chair or large towel to sit on in the grass.
- SONIC’s Summer Movie Nights at Myriad Gardens. Every Wednesday from June 22 - August 3, 2016 at 9 p.m. Click here for the movie line-up.
- Moore’s Amphitheater located at Central Park (700 South Broadway) will be a host site for a monthly movie at 9 p.m. Call the City of Moore (405-793-5000) for the next date and movie title.
- Andrews Park in Norman will show a movie every Wednesday through July 30th. Activities begin at 7 p.m. and film begins at sundown. Find out what movie will be shown next here.
- Yukon movie night at Chisholm Trail Park on select nights from July 1– August 18, 2016. Check the City of Yukon’s website for more details.
Storytime at Myriad Gardens
Storytime brings books to life at the Myriad Gardens! Take your younger children to experience the magic! After the story, kids will also make a small craft. All of this is FREE, every Wednesday, in the Chrystal Bridge South Lobby from 10-11 a.m. Recommended for children ages 2-5.
Continue the fun inside the coolness of your local library. Metropolitan Library System and Pioneer Library System will host activities for everyone in the family. There’s summer reading, story time, yoga, Zumba for kids, and Friday films and much more! Visit your local library website to find a FREE activity for your family to enjoy.
We hope you and your family will have a wonderful summer!
Stay active. Stay Hydrated.