Summer Fresh Salsa!
ONIE has got you covered! Whether you are planning a family reunion, a backyard barbeque, or just hanging out with the family for the 4th of July. We have a delicious salsa recipe for you to share with your family! It can be served as a dip, side dish, salad topper, or many other ways. To prepare this recipe for you, we went shopping this morning and spent$5.48 excluding tax.
Easy on the budget, just 69 cents per serving
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen corn
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans (reduced sodium and drain/rinse)
- 2 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic crushed, minced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
*Check out the nutrition label! You can feel good about what you are serving your family. No fat, 6 grams of protein, lots of vitamin C, plus Vitamin A and dietary fiber.
It is this easy!
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl.
- Refrigerate covered for 3 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend together.
- Serve with celery sticks, baked chips, or as a side dish.
ONIE Test Kitchen Tip
Peeling garlic: Lay the knife blade flat over a piece of garlic, form a fist with your hand, and give the blade a quick pop with your hand. The skin will crack to make peeling easy!
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY
FROM THE ONIE PROJECT TEAM Meredith, Stephanie, Karla, Jade & Veronica Special ONIE Nutrition Tip: Cut back on the sugary drinks and serve fresh water flavored with sliced lemons, limes, watermelon, or even herbs like mint.