Thanksgiving Desserts - ONIE Style
Thanksgiving is finally here! We hope you have enjoyed our recipes and tips on how to make your family’s Thanksgiving meal healthier while still following traditions. The grand finale to our thanksgiving blog series is of course everyone’s favorite: dessert! Two desserts you can always find at my family’s Thanksgiving dinner are pumpkin treats and ambrosia fruit salad. We tried something different using everyone's favorite fall ingredient, pumpkin. We tried a few recipes and found the best pumpkin cupcake recipe that not only tastes great is super simple with only 4 steps. These cupcakes are low in calories and high in vitamin A. We also created a lighter version of the traditional ambrosia salad that is full of taste and fiber. Enjoy!
Simply Amazing Pumpkin Cupcakes
Estimated Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole grain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (in place of vegetable oil)
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.Place 15 cupcake liners in cupcake tin.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spices together.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs together. Next whisk in the pumpkin, apple sauce, milk, and vanilla until combined. Pour dry mixture into bowl and mix.
4. Spoon the batter evenly into 15 cups, do not fill over 3/4 full, the cupcakes will rise. Bake for 17-18 minutes.
* If you would like to add some crunch add pecans on top. We also tried a few with raisins and lightly pour honey on the top of some to add a sweet topping.
Heavenly Ambrosia Salad
Estimated time: 5 minutes
- 2 cans fruit cocktail in 100% fruit juice, drained
- 1.5 cups fat free vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Combine ingredients in large bowl. Mix well.
- Top mixture with chopped pecans and shredded coconut if desired.
- Refrigerate immediately.
We hope you have a Happy & Healthy Thanksgiving!!! The ONIE Team