Thanksgiving Favorites: Mashed Potatoes and Cheesy Broccoli
We took traditional mashed potatoes and added some cauliflower to sneak in an extra vegetable that is mild enough to not even notice. We also replaced the traditional butter with healthier alternatives such as low-fat sour cream, non-fat Greek yogurt, and a buttermilk alternative (see simple instruction below). Our taste testers overwhelmingly agreed that using non-fat Greek yogurt was the creamiest. This was a great surprise as you can see in the nutrition label comparison below, replacing the butter with Greek yogurt cuts all the fat, lowers the calories and cholesterol, and pumps up the protein!
Here is the recipe for the winning mash!
Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower
Estimated time: 40 minutes
- 3 medium Russet potatoes
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp. non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Pepper (to taste)
- Fill a large pot with water and heat on high until boiling.
- Meanwhile, wash potatoes thoroughly and cut into 1” pieces.
- Once water is boiling, add potatoes and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes.
- About 8 minutes until potatoes are done add cauliflower.
- Once potatoes and cauliflower are done, remove from heat and drain the pot. Return cauliflower and potatoes to pot and add Greek yogurt and milk.
- Begin mashing until ideal consistency is reached.
Try our other healthy butter alternatives:
- 3 Tbps light sour cream
- 3 Tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup buttermilk substitute (1 cup 1% low fat milk and 1 Tbsp white vinegar (let stand 5-10 minutes or until milk consistency changes)
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
Traditional cheesy broccoli casseroles use a highly processed quick melting cheese such as Velveeta, that is high in sodium and saturated fat. Here at the ONIE Project we used reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, low-fat milk, and reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup to cut down on the amount of sodium and fat.
Estimated time: 1 hour
2 (10 oz) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 (10 3/4 oz ) can condensed reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
1 cup uncooked instant rice
8 oz shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Cook rice according to box directions.
- Once rice is cooked, combine broccoli, soup, rice, onion, milk, and half of cheese in large bowl. Mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
We hope you have a healthy and happy Thanksgiving!!