Cuban Black-Bean Stew with Rice
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 (15 oz) cans reduced-sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can 50% less sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Fluff with a fork & set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat oil on medium. Add onion, bell pepper & garlic powder. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, broth, vinegar & oregano. Mash a portion of beans with the back of a spoon, until stew is slightly thickened. Add pepper & cook 6-8 minutes.
- Divide stew into bowls, top with rice & serve.
Encuentra la receta en español aquí.
Beans are an excellent source of fiber, potassium & protein!