Butternut Squash & Tomato Posole
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled & diced (yields 3 cups)
- 2 cups 50% less sodium beef broth
- 1 (15.5 oz) can white hominy, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15.5 oz) can no-salt-added pinto beans
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 avocado, peeled & diced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- In a large stockpot heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, garlic & cook 5 minutes, or until onions begin to brown, stirring throughout.
- Add squash, broth, hominy, beans, tomatoes & chili powder. Reduce heat to medium, cover & cook 25 minutes, or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup topped with avocado & cilantro.
Encuentra la receta en español aquí.
Don't have time to prepare the butternut squash? Check your local grocery store for frozen butternut squash. A faster option for those with little time.