Braised Lentil & Vegetable Medley
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 (6.5 oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained & rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen onion & bell pepper mix
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 1/2 cups unsalted beef broth
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- Cut ends off squash & cut in half, lengthwise. Scoop seeds out with a spoon & throw away. Place squash in a microwave-safe dish flesh-side up. Microwave 15 minutes, or until tender. Let cool. Score squash with a knife making small squares, without breaking skin. Scoop squash out & set aside.
- In a large saucepan add oil & heat over medium. Sauté mushrooms, onion & pepper mix & garlic powder 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add squash. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until squash is golden brown on edges.
- Add broth, oregano & pepper. Increase heat to medium-high & bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lentils. Cover & simmer 30-35 minutes, or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice. Cover & simmer 10 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Want to switch things up? Try using acorn squash, another winter squash like butternut squash, instead!