- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (32oz) carton unsalted chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (about 6 cups)
- Prepare barley according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large stockpot heat oil over medium. Add carrots & sauté 5 minutes.
- Add onions & garlic. Sauté 3 minutes, or until tender. Add cooked barley, tomatoes, cumin, turmeric & pepper. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add broth, cover & simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in kale. Cover & cook 4-5 minutes, or until kale turns bright green.
TipsPearled barley will take additional time to cook. (Approximately 40 minutes)
|8 servings servings per recipe|
Amount per serving
% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
Includes 0g Added Sugars
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|